Winona County Public Health and Human Services
Follow Along Program
Program that helps to make sure children are learning and growing appropriately for their age
The Follow Along Program (FAP) helps parents and caregivers measure how their children are developing and decide if educational and other community programs may be needed to help them keep pace with other kids their age.
It helps parents:
- Learn and ask questions about child health and development
- Figure out "what to teach" and "at what age" to teach it
- Get information about other helpful services
How it works:
- Parents get a call or visit from an early childhood professional (usually a nurse) from a local public health department to learn about their child.
- Questionnaires are sent to help parents measure how their child is developing at specific ages.
- Results are shared with the parent, and if there are concerns, the professional contacts the parent about what they can do.
When a child reaches 36 months old, parents then receive information about how to register for Early Childhood Screening to continue to support their child's readiness for kindergarten.
- Children and/or youth with disabilities
Parents/caregivers with children birth to 36 months (three years). Some counties continue to provide the program for children 3 through Kindergarten entrance. Contact the local public health agency to learn if this is an option.
Two ways to enroll:
There is no fee for this service.
202 W 3rd St, Winona, MN, 55987
Residents of Winona County; some programs have an open service area
- Primary Contact for this program: 507-457-6400
- Main: 507-457-6500
Other Services at this Location
- Child and Teen Checkups Coordinators connect individuals to well-child care and screenings for eligible newborns, children and young adults
- Family Home Visiting Expectant parents and parents or caregivers of young children can get in-home support with pregnancy topics, parenting skills and connections to community resources.
- Public Health Clinic Public health departments offer screenings, health education and wellness services