Albert Lea Housing and Redevelopment Authority

Publicly Owned Subsidized Housing

Publicly owned housing provides low-rent or subsidized housing to households with low incomes who are eligible and may be restricted to older adults, families or people with disabilities.


Housing owned and operated by a local government entity, such as a Public Housing Agency or a Housing Authority, which provides low-rent affordable housing to households with low incomes who are eligible

The rental amount paid by the resident is often determined based on the resident's income. Some housing has a low, fixed rent amount. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments. Some housing may be restricted to specific populations, such as older adults, families, or people with disabilities.

Additional Information

Shady Oaks high-rise offers one-bedroom rental units


  • Area Served by County
    • Freeborn County
  • Housing Unit Types
    • 1 bedroom unit
  • Specialization
    • People with low income


Public housing is for low-income households.

Your eligibility is based on:

  • Annual gross income
  • Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability or as a family
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status

If you are eligible, the Housing Authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. A Housing Authority may deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a harmful effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.

You must meet income guidelines. Income limits are set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Income guidelines can be found on the HUD website. Check with the property management for specific income limits.

HUD sets the upper income limits at 80% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Some housing is limited to people with very low income (50% of median income). Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one Housing Authority but not at another. The amount is adjusted each year and is based on family size.

Application Instructions

Call for more information. Some properties maintain waiting lists. There may be a long wait, or the waiting list may be closed.


800 S 4th Ave, Albert Lea, MN, 56007

Area Served

Freeborn County

Phone Numbers

  • Primary Contact for this program: 507-377-4375



Last Update