Southwest Health and Human Services (SWHHS)
Follow Along Program
Program that helps to make sure children are learning and growing appropriately for their age
The Follow Along Program (FAP) helps parents and caregivers measure how their children are developing and decide if educational and other community programs may be needed to help them keep pace with other kids their age.
It helps parents:
- Learn and ask questions about child health and development
- Figure out "what to teach" and "at what age" to teach it
- Get information about other helpful services
How it works:
- Parents get a call or visit from an early childhood professional (usually a nurse) from a local public health department to learn about their child.
- Questionnaires are sent to help parents measure how their child is developing at specific ages.
- Results are shared with the parent, and if there are concerns, the professional contacts the parent about what they can do.
When a child reaches 36 months old, parents then receive information about how to register for Early Childhood Screening to continue to support their child's readiness for kindergarten.
- Children and/or youth with disabilities
Parents/caregivers with children birth to 36 months (three years). Some counties continue to provide the program for children 3 through Kindergarten entrance. Contact the local public health agency to learn if this is an option.
Two ways to enroll:
- Apply online
- Or speak to your local public health department contact
There is no fee for this service.
607 W Main St, Ste 200, Marshall, MN, 56258
Lincoln, Lyon, Murray, Pipestone, Redwood, and Rock counties
- Primary Contact for this program: 507-532-1212
- Main: 507-537-6747
- Toll Free - Lyon County Human Services: 800-657-3760
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
- Southwest Health and Human Services - Lincoln County 319 N Rebecca St, Ivanhoe, MN, 56142
- Southwest Health and Human Services - Murray County 3001 Maple Rd, Slayton, MN, 56172
- Southwest Health and Human Services - Redwood County 266 E Bridge St, Redwood Falls, MN, 56283
- Southwest Health and Human Services - Pipestone County 1091 N Hiawatha Ave, Pipestone, MN, 56164
- Southwest Health and Human Services - Rock County 2 Roundwind Rd, Luverne, MN, 56156
Other Services at this Location
- Apply for Waiver Programs Accepts applications for Medical Assistance/Medicaid waiver programs
- Child and Teen Checkups Coordinators connect individuals to well-child care and screenings for eligible newborns, children and young adults
- Child Foster Care (CFC) Licensing The local county office that oversees licenses for child foster care. Foster care is a temporary safe family home for children who have been placed by a court order or a voluntary placement agreement.
- Child Support Services (CSS) The Minnesota Department of Human Services Child Support Division and county child support agencies work with both parents to establish and enforce child support court orders.
- County Programs for Families Apply for county programs that provide financial assistance and supportive resources to families
- County Programs for Food Support Apply for county programs that help pay for food
- County Programs for Income Assistance Apply for county programs that help pay for basic needs
- County Programs for People with Disabilities Apply for county programs that serve people with disabilities
- Family Home Visiting Expectant parents and parents or caregivers of young children can get in-home support with pregnancy topics, parenting skills and connections to community resources.
- Parent Support Outreach Program (PSOP) A voluntary, early intervention service that focuses on helping expecting and parenting at-risk families thrive.
- Public Health Clinic Public health departments offer screenings, health education and wellness services
- WIC - Supplemental Nutrition Program A nutrition and breastfeeding program that helps young families eat well and be healthy. Learn about nutrition during pregnancy and feeding your baby and young children; meet breastfeeding goals; and buy healthy food using your WIC card.