Northwest Community Action, Inc.
Services and programs that prepare low-income families with preschool children (ages 3 - 5) for their transition to public school kindergarten and to support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
Head Start helps families with young children prepare to succeed in life and school. Programs promote children's development through services that support early learning, health, and family well-being. The program helps with early learning, health, nutrition and social services while being responsive to ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds.
Services may vary in each local community.
Services may include:
- Center based classroom or Family Child Care experiences for children and their families
- Home-based services provided to individual families
- Socialization experiences
- Leadership, advocacy, and training supports for families
- Coordination with public schools and Early Childhood Special Education
The goal is to deliver services to children and families in core areas of early learning, health, and family well-being while engaging parents as partners as their child's primary teacher.
Local Head Start services are delivered by public and private nonprofit and for-profit agencies supported by local, state, and federal funding.
- Community Action Partnership
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
- People with low income
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines are used to determine income eligibility for participation in Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
- Children age 3 - 5 who are from families with incomes below the poverty guidelines
- Children in families who are experiencing homelessness
- Families receiving public assistance such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Foster children are eligible regardless of their foster family's income
Local programs may determine additional selection criteria to be responsive to community needs.
No cost to participating families
110 E Carpenter Ave, Badger, MN, 56714
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-528-3258
- Greenbush Center 401 Park Ave W, Greenbush, MN, 56726
- Roseau Center 509 3rd St NE, Roseau, MN, 56751
- Karlstad Center PO 178, Karlstad, MN, 56732
- Warroad Center 510 Cedar Ave NW, Warroad, MN, 56763
- Grygla Center 114 N Fladeland Ave, Grygla, MN, 56727
- Newfolden Center 300 Melgaard, Viking, MN, 56760
- Baudette Center 1500 Main St West, Baudette, MN, 56623