Northwest Community Action, Inc.
Early Head Start
Home visiting or center-based services and programs for low-income families with infants and toddlers that support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
Early Head Start helps families with infants, toddler and pregnant women prepare for success. Programs promote children's development through services that support early learning, health, and family well-being.
The program helps with physical, cognitive, social and emotional development while being responsive to ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds.
Services vary in each local community and may include:
- Evidence-based home visiting
- Center-based or Family Child Care options in some local communities
- Socialization experiences for children and their families
- Leadership, advocacy, and training supports for families
- Coordination with public schools and Early Childhood Special Education
The goal is to deliver services to children and families in core areas of early learning, health, and family well-being while engaging parents as partners every step of the way.
Local Head Start services are delivered by public and private nonprofit and for-profit agencies supported by local, state, and federal funding.
- Community Action Partnership
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
- People with low income
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines are used to determine income eligibility for participation in Early Head Start programs.
- Pregnant women and children birth - age 3 who are from families with incomes below the poverty guidelines
- Children in families who are experiencing homelessness
- Families receiving public assistance such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Foster children are eligible regardless of their foster family's income
Local programs may determine additional selection criteria to be responsive to community needs.
No cost to participating families
312 N Main St, Badger, MN, 56714
Lake of the Woods, Kittson, Marshall and Roseau counties
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-528-3258
- Toll Free: 800-568-5329
- Kittson County Early Head Start 103 McKinley Ave W, Karlstad, MN, 56732
- Roseau County Early Head Start 3 103 N State Ave, Warroad, MN, 56763
- Marshall County Early Head Start 113 Main Ave E, Newfolden, MN, 56738
- Lake of the Woods County Early Head Start 106 2nd St NE, Baudette, MN, 56623
Other Services at this Location
- Community Action Agency Provides programs and services that help individuals and families with low incomes.
- Energy Assistance Program Helps renters and homeowners pay their home heating bills and may also assist homeowners to fix or replace their broken furnace
- Family and Community Resource Navigator Early childhood specialists help families and those with young children find and connect with local early childhood and family well-being services.
- Transitional Housing Time-limited housing and support services for individuals and/or families
- Utility Conservation Improvement Program Energy conservation services for people meeting income guidelines.
- Weatherization Assistance Program Helps low-income homeowners and renters to reduce energy costs