KOOTASCA Community Action, Inc. (CAP)
Services and programs that prepare low-income families with preschool children (ages 3 - 5) for their transition to public school kindergarten and to support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
Head Start helps families with young children prepare to succeed in life and school. Programs promote children's development through services that support early learning, health, and family well-being. The program helps with early learning, health, nutrition and social services while being responsive to ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds.
Services may vary in each local community.
Services may include:
- Center based classroom or Family Child Care experiences for children and their families
- Home-based services provided to individual families
- Socialization experiences
- Leadership, advocacy, and training supports for families
- Coordination with public schools and Early Childhood Special Education
The goal is to deliver services to children and families in core areas of early learning, health, and family well-being while engaging parents as partners as their child's primary teacher.
Local Head Start services are delivered by public and private nonprofit and for-profit agencies supported by local, state, and federal funding.
- Community Action Partnership
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
- People with low income
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines are used to determine income eligibility for participation in Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
- Children age 3 - 5 who are from families with incomes below the poverty guidelines
- Children in families who are experiencing homelessness
- Families receiving public assistance such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Foster children are eligible regardless of their foster family's income
Local programs may determine additional selection criteria to be responsive to community needs.
Application is available on Kootasca Community Action website
No cost to participating families
504 5th St SE, Deer River, MN, 56636
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-246-8860
- GRECC 820 NW 1st Ave, Grand Rapids, MN, 55744
- Itasca Community College 1213 SE 2nd Ave, Grand Rapids, MN, 55744
- Taconite Head Start 28 Haynes St S, Taconite, MN, 55786
- Marble Head Start 201 Kate St, Marble, MN, 55764
- Keewatin Elementary School 300 W 3rd Ave, Keewatin, MN, 55753
- Northome Head Start 11731 Highway 1, Northome, MN, 56661
- Koochiching County - International Falls Office 2232 2nd Ave E, International Falls, MN, 56649