KOOTASCA Community Action, Inc. (CAP)
Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP)
Short-term help for low-income families, youth and single adults who are homeless or are about to become homeless
The Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP) helps low-income families with or without children, unaccompanied youth and single adults who are homeless or are about to become homeless.
Resources and money help with:
- Preventing homelessness
- Getting back into housing right away
- Staying in housing
Assistance usually takes the form of short-term help with rent. It may also help with utility costs. Payments may help to prevent foreclosure or eviction.
The FHPAP project helps to prevent homelessness for families and individuals in both Itasca and Koochiching Counties. Funds are utilized to provide short-term rent assistance or mortgage foreclosure prevention assistance to eligible households.
Staff provide advocacy, housing search assistance and connection to other resources if needed. Some funds are utilized for transportation issues and/or car maintenance if this is a barrier to ability to work.
- Community Action Partnership
- People with low income
Recipients are households at or below 200% Federal Poverty Guidelines and the household must be experiencing a housing crisis and a need for assistance.
Housing assistance and services may vary by region or agency. There are FHPAP programs in all Minnesota counties and six of the northern tribal nations including Red Lake, White Earth, Fond Du Lac, Bois Forte, Mille Lacs and Leech Lake.
Additional eligibility criteria may apply.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Cook, Lake, Itasca, and Koochiching counties
Referrals and entry to all housing programs start with First Call for Help: dial 2-1-1. Call 218-326-8565 (800-442-8565 in Koochiching County) between 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday and speak with a Coordinated Entry Screener. After the initial screening, an appointment will be scheduled with a case manager and the caller will be placed on a priority/wait list. Being on the list does not guarantee housing or assistance.
If you are homeless or within 14 days of becoming homeless, please contact First Call for help by dialing (800) 442-8565 (800-442-8565 in Koochiching County)
Fees depend on program.
201 NW 4th St, Ste 130, Grand Rapids, MN, 55744
Itasca and Koochiching counties
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-999-0830
- Main: 218-999-0800
- Toll Free: 877-687-1163
- TTY - MN Relay: 800-627-3529
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
Other Services at this Location
- Community Action Agency Provides programs and services that help individuals and families with low incomes.
- Emergency Shelter Provides a temporary place to stay for people that do not have housing
- Energy Assistance Program Helps renters and homeowners pay their home heating bills and may also assist homeowners to fix or replace their broken furnace
- Home Repair Financial Assistance Loans to eligible homeowners to increase the accessibility of their house or make needed fixes
- Housing Stabilization Services (HSS) Medical Assistance benefit to help people with disabilities and seniors find and keep housing
- Information and Support - Circles of Support Helps people find resources and connect to services
- Teen Parent Assistance Helps prepare young parents with classes or other educational programs and support
- Transitional Housing Time-limited housing and support services for individuals and/or families
- Weatherization Assistance Program Helps low-income homeowners and renters to reduce energy costs