Horizon Public Health
WIC - Supplemental Nutrition Program
A nutrition and breastfeeding program that helps young families eat well and be healthy. Learn about nutrition during pregnancy and feeding your baby and young children; meet breastfeeding goals; and buy healthy food using your WIC card.
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a nutrition and breastfeeding program to help pregnant women, new mothers, infants and young children eat well, learn about nutrition, and stay healthy.
WIC benefits include:
- Nutrition education and information
- A variety of healthy foods you purchase using your WIC card
- Breastfeeding support and education
- Health or community referrals
- Assistance with community resources
- Nutrition assessment and/or counseling
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
- People with low income
Minnesota WIC is for:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women who have had a baby within the past year
- Women who have had a baby within the past 6 months
- Women who have been pregnant within the past 6 months
- Children up to age 5
Minnesota families must:
- Live in Minnesota.
- Meet WIC income guidelines
- Families are automatically income eligible if they are enrolled in another program such as Medical Assistance, Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT), Energy Assistance Program (EAP), Head Start, Medical Assistance TEFRA or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Find income guidelines and a full list of automatic income eligibility programs on the Minnesota WIC website
All WIC clinics require appointments.
Bring to your appointment:
- All children under 5 years old, so staff can measure their height, weight, and hemoglobin
- Proof of identity for each woman and child
- Proof of all family income
- Proof of Minnesota address
Find required documents examples and more information about what to expect at your WIC appointment
This is a free service.
809 Elm St, Ste 1200, Alexandria, MN, 56308
Douglas, Grant, Pope, Stevens and Traverse counties
- Primary Contact for this program: 320-763-6018
- TDD: 800-627-3529
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
- Pope County Office 10 1st St NE, Glenwood, MN, 56334
- Grant County Office 15 Central Ave N, Elbow Lake, MN, 56531
- Stevens County Office 10 E Highway 28, Morris, MN, 56267
- Traverse County Office 202 8th St N, Wheaton, MN, 56296
Other Services at this Location
- Apply for Waiver Programs Accepts applications for Medical Assistance/Medicaid waiver programs
- Child and Teen Checkups Coordinators connect individuals to well-child care and screenings for eligible newborns, children and young adults
- Family Home Visiting Expectant parents and parents or caregivers of young children can get in-home support with pregnancy topics, parenting skills and connections to community resources.
- Follow Along Program Program that helps to make sure children are learning and growing appropriately for their age
- Parenting Support Education and support for parents, or soon to be parents
- Public Health Clinic Public health departments offer screenings, health education and wellness services