Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department
Medical office that provides non-emergency care
Outpatient health clinic offering preventative, diagnostic (exam or test) and treatment services
Some clinics are certified as Health Care Homes, where primary care providers, families and patients work together to support wellness and improve health outcomes. The Minnesota Department of Health provides an online map of providers as well as an online directory that allows you to search for clinics or clinicians by name.
Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) provide free and low-cost clinics in underserved areas, typically inner-cities and rural areas. They are designed to serve people who have limited access to healthcare such as the uninsured and underinsured, immigrants, migrant workers and people who live in public housing or are homeless. These medical clinics are paid for by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
Federally Qualified Health centers provide:
- Checkups when you are well
- Treatment when you are sick
- Complete care when you are pregnant
- Immunizations and checkups for your children
- Dental care and prescription drugs for your family
- Mental health and substance abuse care if you need it
The Red Door Clinic provides diagnosis and treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD). Services include:
- Testing for Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD)
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Testing with same-day results
- Dermatology treatment for genital warts or molluscum contagiosum
- Vaccinations for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Human Papillomavirus (HPV) for people at risk
- Safer sex information and birth control for women up to age 30
- Ryan White Services for the uninsured
- Pregnancy prevention services
- Care Access and Prevention Services - Sexual health program for newly diagnosed HIV positive persons and those at high risk for HIV
- Health Interventions for Men - Gay and bisexual men's health services
- Needle exchange
Many of the clinic staff speak Spanish and can provide free interpreter services. For all other languages, telephone interpretation is provided free of charge. Appointments are made for visits that require a American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter. To set an appointment for a visit requiring an ASL interpreter, please call the clinic at (612) 348-4729 TTY one week prior to the date that you would like to be seen.
About This Location
Offers sexual health care, including testing and treatment for STDs and HIV
Visit the website for more information.
Licenses and Certifications
- Federally Qualified Health Center
- Private health insurance
- Private pay
- Sliding fee scale
- People with low income
Any homeless adult or child living in situations such as:
- Outside or on the street,
- In shelter or transitional housing,
- With friends or relatives ("doubled-up" or "couch hopping") or
- Currently housed but was homeless within the last year
Red Door - 12 years of age and older
If you know a homeless individual who needs medical care:
Have the person call (612) 543-5555 or direct the person to a Health Care for the Homeless clinic site.
Appointments aren't required, but it is recommended to call to confirm the clinic is open. You can call the individual clinic or the main phone number: (612) 543-5555.
Red Door: Appointments are available daily Appointment needed for pregnancy prevention services and Ryan White Early Intervention services
Health Care for the Homeless accepts most insurances and provides sliding fee scales for low-income or uninsured individuals. Clinic services will not be denied based on inability to pay.
Red Door: This is not a free clinic but service is not dependent on the ability to pay.
Accepts all forms of health insurance. If you do not have insurance, or choose not to use your insurance, you will be asked to pay something at the time of your visit.
Accept cash, checks, Visa and MasterCard.
525 Portland Ave, Health Services Building, Fl 4, Minneapolis, MN, 55415
Twin Cities Metro area
- Primary Contact for this program: 612-543-5555
- Toll Free - STD Hotline: 800-783-2278
- Catholic Charities - Opportunity Center (Health Care for the Homeless) 740 E 17th St, Minneapolis, MN, 55404
- Hennepin County Public Health Clinic (Health Care for the Homeless) 525 Portland Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55415
- People Serving People (Health Care for the Homeless) 614 S 3rd St, Minneapolis, MN, 55415
- Salvation Army Harbor Light Center 1010 Currie Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55403
- YouthLink (Health Care for the Homeless) 41 N 12th St, Minneapolis, MN, 55403
- Catholic Charities Higher Ground (Health Care for the Homeless) 165 Glenwood Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55405
- Simpson Housing Services (Health Care for the Homeless) 2740 1st Ave S, Minneapolis, MN, 55408
- St. Stephen's Human Services (Health Care for the Homeless) 2211 Clinton Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55404
- Hennepin County Health Care for the Homeless - Harriet Tubman 3111 1st Ave S, Minneapolis, MN, 55408