Des Moines Valley Public Health
Family Home Visiting
Expectant parents, parents, or guardians of children five years old and younger can get in-home coaching with parenting skills and connections to community resources
Family Home Visiting is a voluntary, home-based service ideally delivered prenatally through a child's first few years.
Using information from developmental and risk assessments, a trained home visitor visits the family on a routine basis and works with the family on goals they have established together.
Home visiting uses a multi-generational approach, benefiting pregnant and parenting families with young children by:
- Helping parents and caregivers develop safe, stable, nurturing relationships and environments that support healthy development
- Connecting families to community services, such as referrals for pregnant women to prenatal care
- Supporting parents as a child's first teacher
- Fostering parenting skills that decrease the risk of child abuse
Most programs offer services prenatally through children up to five years of age. Families who present the greatest need are prioritized to receive visits, including those who may have the following risk factors:
- Adolescent parents
- History of child or domestic abuse, or other types of violence including victimization
- History of homelessness or low resiliency to adversities and environmental stressors
- Mental health disorders including maternal depression or reduced cognitive function
- History of alcohol or substance use
- Insufficient financial resources and economic instability due to employment barrier
Nearly all Family Home Visiting in Minnesota uses an evidence-based home visiting model that varies slightly in audience, eligibility, and focus.
There is no application process. Families interested in enrolling are connected with trained home visitors.
407 5th St, Jackson, MN, 56143
Cottonwood and Jackson counties
- Primary Contact for this program: 507-847-2366
- Toll Free: 800-622-5207
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
- Des Moines Valley Public Health - Windom 235 9th St, Windom, MN, 56101
Other Services at this Location
- Child and Teen Checkups Coordinators connect individuals to well-child care and screenings for eligible newborns, children and young adults
- Follow Along Program Program that helps to make sure children are learning and growing appropriately for their age
- Public Health Clinic Public health departments offer screenings, health education and wellness services