Bois Forte Band of Chippewa
Family Home Visiting
Expectant parents and parents or caregivers of young children can get in-home support with pregnancy topics, parenting skills and connections to community resources.
Family Home Visiting is a voluntary service available to pregnant persons and parents or caregivers of young children. Visits can be in the family's home, or another location preferred by the family.
A trained home visitor makes visits to provide the family support that is tailored to individual families' interests and needs, such as:
- Helping parents and caregivers create a healthy, nurturing environment for their young children
- Connecting families to community services, such as referrals for pregnant women to prenatal care
- Supporting parents and caregivers in being their child's first teacher
- Promoting positive parenting skills
About This Location
Some topics that a home visitor may help families learn more about are:
- Pregnancy health
- Newborn care and baby's health
- How babies grow, develop and learn
- What to do if there are concerns about a child's development and behavior
- Family Spirit
- Native American Community
Many Family Home Visiting programs in Minnesota use an evidence-based home visiting model and each model varies slightly in audience, eligibility, and focus. These programs offer services prenatally through at least a child's second birthday, and some programs serve families up to a child's fifth birthday. Contact the program to learn more about their age requirements.
Contact the local agency to enroll in this program.
No direct charge for families. Some programs may bill public or private health insurance for services, but families are not billed for co-pay or out-of-pocket costs.
5344 Lake Shore Dr, Nett Lake, MN, 55772
Bois Forte Reservation
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-757-3650
- Main - Housing Program: 218-757-3253
- Main - Transportation Dispatch: 218-757-0280
- Main - Tribal Government: 218-757-3261
- Toll Free: 800-221-8129
- Toll Free - Housing Program: 888-833-7337
- Toll Free - Transportation Dispatch: 888-757-1540
- Bois Forte Human Services Division - Vermilion 1195 County Road 77, Tower, MN, 55790
Other Services at this Location
- Early Head Start - American Indian Families Home visiting or center-based services and programs for low-income families with infants and toddlers that support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
- Emergency Shelter Provides a temporary place to stay for people that do not have housing
- Energy Assistance Program Helps renters and homeowners pay their home heating bills and may also assist homeowners to fix or replace their broken furnace
- Food Distribution Boxes or bags of food that are provided for free or at a very low cost, often on designated days or times
- Head Start - American Indian Families Services and programs that prepare low-income families with preschool children (ages 3 - 5) for their transition to public school kindergarten and to support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
- Local Bus Service - Big Woods Transit Bus transportation within a city, county or region
- Tribal Health and Human Services Health and human services administered by tribal governments.