Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency (AEOA)
Early Head Start
Home visiting or center-based services and programs for low-income families with infants and toddlers that support child development, parenting skills and self-sufficiency
Early Head Start helps families with infants, toddler and pregnant women prepare for success. Programs promote children's development through services that support early learning, health, and family well-being.
The program helps with physical, cognitive, social and emotional development while being responsive to ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds.
Services vary in each local community and may include:
- Evidence-based home visiting
- Center-based or Family Child Care options in some local communities
- Socialization experiences for children and their families
- Leadership, advocacy, and training supports for families
- Coordination with public schools and Early Childhood Special Education
The goal is to deliver services to children and families in core areas of early learning, health, and family well-being while engaging parents as partners every step of the way.
Local Head Start services are delivered by public and private nonprofit and for-profit agencies supported by local, state, and federal funding.
- Community Action Partnership
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
- People with low income
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines are used to determine income eligibility for participation in Early Head Start programs.
- Pregnant women and children birth - age 3 who are from families with incomes below the poverty guidelines
- Children in families who are experiencing homelessness
- Families receiving public assistance such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Foster children are eligible regardless of their foster family's income
Local programs may determine additional selection criteria to be responsive to community needs.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Serves families in Cook, Lake and St. Louis Counties, excluding Duluth.
No cost to participating families
4991 Miller Trunk Hwy, Hermantown, MN, 55811
St. Louis County
- Primary Contact for this program: 218-390-2722
- Two Harbors Office 2124 10th St, Two Harbors, MN, 55616
- Preschool Home Base, Quad 1 & 2 201 Station 44 Rd, Eveleth, MN, 55734
- Mesabi East School 601 N 1st St W, Aurora, MN, 55705
- Hibbing Head Start 2528 E Beltline, Hibbing, MN, 55746
- Vaughan-Steffensrud School 1000 1st Ave NE, Chisholm, MN, 55719